Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Rhubarb icecream addiction

My latest food fad is rhubarb, and in particular homemade rhubarb ice cream. It's so tangy, creamy, sweet and prettily pink. I am seriously tempted to make batch after batch of it and fill our freezer for when rhubarb season is finished ;-)

IMG_2755

Recently I found myself in possession of lots of rhubarb when I bought a huge bunch at the markets and then went to visit my mum who had heaps of it growing and also gave me some. I vaguely remembered having a rhubarb ice cream cone in an independent cinema once and being blown away by the taste, so thought I'd try to recreate it. My first, quite lame, attempt involved just stewing the fruit with sugar and a little water  and then stirring it into softened vanilla ice cream. But it was too hard, not creamy enough and just not right :-(

IMG_2710

Then I stumbled upon this extremely simple recipe and it's a winner! If you're even a mild rhubarb fan, try it, I think you'll like it.

IMG_2714

- - - -

Rhubarb ice cream (recipe based on this one)

500 grams rhubarb
250 grams caster sugar
150 ml double cream  

Wash and chop the rhubarb into smallish pieces, put into a large pan along with the sugar and put the lid on. Leave to simmer until the fruit is soft. Allow to cool and then refrigerate until cold.
Mix the rhubarb and cream together then pour into an ice-cream maker* and churn until thick. Eat straight away or store in the freezer. When serving from the freezer allow to thaw slightly before serving.

- - - -

*I'm not sure if I'd try to make it without an ice cream maker (I just have a small cheap model that does the churning for you) as you do want the texture to be light and I'm not sure this would be possible by hand?

IMG_2758

6 comments:

  1. This sent me straight to the fruit shop to buy rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent Justine :-) Hope you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  2. Sounds yummo Jo, will just need to borrow Mum's ice-cream maker now. We are missing our regular gelato fixes!

    PS - Am assuming it is low joule? (ha ha)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I've never thought to put rhubarb in icecream before...yummo!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails