Sunday, April 10, 2011

Weekend cooking - the pumpkin challenge



This rather majestic looking pumpkin appeared on our front doorstep recently, and turned out to be a home grown present from friends. I hesitated to cut it open until I could think of enough different ways to use it so that none of it goes to waste (impossible to tell from the pic, but it was about 40cm high). Part of the challenge, of course, will be to vary the recipes enough so that the family are not put off pumpkin forever by the time it's all eaten!
Link


I thought it might be fun (in a cooking-nerd kinda way!) to see how many different ways we can use it and to show you what we come up with.

1. OK, first up, after hacking into it I enlisted my big girl to take out all the lovely seeds and we roasted them with a little soy sauce and olive oil (see this post). This is a really popular snack in our house and a bowl full of these doesn't last long. I only wish pumpkins yielded more seeds!



2. Also tonight I made a roasted pumpkin soup, based on this recipe.



And can I call on you to help by letting me know of any favourite pumpkin recipes you'd recommend? Something I've always been curious about is pumpkin pie. I've never even eaten it, let alone cooked it, but I'm intrigued, so if you have a reliable recipe, please let me know and I'll make it and report back.

Hope you've had a lovely weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Pumpkin pie is lovely! Unfortunately my 'reliable recipe' is in a book, but this one seems almost exactly the same: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/worlds-best-pumpkin-pie/Detail.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a pumpkin fritter recipe (thats a batter made with pumpkin and deep fried!!!)that I loooved as a kid, I still do actually. If you want to give it a go let me know and I'll send it to you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha Angus is always asking for pumpkin pie for dinner. Maybe I should send him your way.
    I have made it once in my early 20's. Its odd - maybe an acquired taste! lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails