Sunday, June 20, 2010

Weekend cooking - dumplings

The weekend's a time when I sometimes get the opportunity to cook something different or fun, a change from the quick and easy routine of weeknights. Come and see what I've been up to this weekend...



Flicking through a cooking magazine while folding the washing yesterday (typical multi-tasking woman), I got inspired by a great photo of a noodle soup with bok choy and rice noodes. With the boys of the house, young and old, having an afternoon nap, I took the girls to the fabulous local asian supermarket to get ingredients for noodle soup and also some steamed dumplings. Last time I made these the girls loved them, and as anyone with small kids knows, if you're onto a winner, stick to it (at least until the time in the near future when they claim they no longer like it!). So, pictured above is part of our booty for the soup and dumplings.

Back at home I blitzed to a paste fresh mushrooms, re-hydrated shitake mushrooms, spring onions, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce and a little mushroom soaking water.




Then my trusty assistant wet the edges of the dough for me and I sealed them.



Resulting in a plateful of lovely dumplings.



The kids ate them with a little soy sauce and the grown-ups had a soy, hoi-sin and chilli dipping sauce. I'm happy to say that everyone enjoyed them again. I wonder how long my luck will hold out :-)



In other weekend-ish food/cooking news, I hosted a little lunch for a dear friend's 40th birthday on Friday. We had roasted olives and homemade pizza (including one with roast pumpkin (still on that fad) caramelised onion and fetta). Then I'd made a flourless chocolate cake for the first time, which turned out well. It was nice to make a 'grown-up' cake for a change!! One of the girls bought a lovely bottle of Segura Viudas Spanish bubbly, which I must track down and we had a lovely glass of red wine. This helped to ease the chaos of having 6 littlies under the age of 3 in the house at once!

Then on Saturday night at the birthday girl's party I enjoyed halloumi skewers - mmm. Is there anything better than some warm crispy, chewy halloumi? I think not.

Happy birthday beautiful girl xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails